Green Energy Park and The State of Piauí Partner for a 5 Giga-Watt Renewable Ammonia Production and Export Facility in Piauí, Brazil
- Green Energy Park to establish its first upstream facility in Piauí, Brazil.
- The State of Piauí to support the facility in the State's unique special economic trade zone.
- Together, Green Energy Park and The State of Piauí will develop "Green Energy Park Piauí", a 5 giga-watt ammonia production and export facility.
- Initial production capacity of minimum 1 million tonnes of green ammonia to Green Energy Park Krk.
ROTTERDAM, the NETHERLANDS / October 11, 2023 / Green Energy Park and The State of Piauí, Brazil are pleased to announce the signing of a Letter of Intent (LOI) at the World Hydrogen Congress in Rotterdam for the production and export of an initial one million tonnes of ammonia from renewable energy sources.
RENEWABLE AMMONIA AT SCALE
Green Energy Park is pleased to announce its first 5 giga-watt upstream renewable production and export facility in Piauí, Brazil.
Piauí is an emerging leader in the global hydrogen economy, producing cost-effective renewable energy from wind and solar.
Green Energy Park has chosen Piauí as the first of a minimum of eight giga-watt upstream facilities to supply its global distribution network with an initial focus on European end markets. Piauí offers cost leadership for producing and exporting renewable ammonia from Brazil to Europe and elsewhere in the world.
The partnership includes, but is not limited to:
- Green Energy Park Piauí will join the Green Energy Park network and supply its midstream facilities and network partners with cost-competitive renewable ammonia from Brazil.
- Green Energy Park Piauí will participate in the Green Energy Park conferences to share operational experience and best practices from working with stakeholders including technology providers, EPC contractors, professional service providers, investors, and renewable energy consumers.
- The parties will perform a feasibility study for exporting renewable energy via ammonia from Piauí, Brazil to various locations around the world targeting the production and export of around 5 million tonnes of renewable ammonia per year.
- The renewable ammonia export destinations from Piauí will include Europe, with a focus on supplying Green Energy Park Krk, a purpose-built ammonia midstream facility at the North Adriatic Sea. Green Energy Park Krk has a total capacity of 10 million tonnes of ammonia import, storage, and distribution per year.
GLOBAL AMMONIA TRADE
With Green Energy Park Piauí, we are taking a bold step into the future. By investing in a fully decarbonized ammonia value chain, we seek to reduce the price of renewable hydrogen for downstream applications ranging from industrial heat to transport, mobility, and power.
The world of energy needs to change faster to meet its decarbonization goals, while ammonia is emerging as the global hydrogen carrier of choice. Therefore, the focus of Green Energy Park is on accelerating the energy transition through global ammonia trading and its downstream applications.
We firmly believe that cost equivalence with hydrocarbons is achievable near term, through cutting-edge technology applications and engineering know-how applied at scale. Therefore, choosing to work with cost leaders in renewable energy production like Piauí is key.
With our unique midstream facilities and an initial import capacity of up to 10 million tonnes of ammonia per year into Europe, we can pass on our cost advantages from efficient network infrastructure to our renewable hydrogen customers, harvesting synergies from numerous applications.
Our mission is to accelerate the energy transition and decarbonize energy at competitive prices. To that end, the global ammonia trade must scale up and become the industry standard for energy import and distribution to the final off-taker.
Bart Biebuyck, CEO of Green Energy Park said: "Our Brand stands for a distinct set of values that we share with the Governor of Piauí. We are united in a common vision of the future development of society and the decarbonization of our economy. At Green Energy Park our objective is that each franchise member achieves bankability without public subsidies. The world needs many more private initiatives like Green Energy Park to accelerate the energy transition and have a real impact on the decarbonization pathway of our economy. Therefore, we welcome private parties to join our open franchise network and collaborate with us along the various parts of the hydrogen value chain. Our mission is to unite upstream, midstream, and downstream facilities and coordinate the timing and scale of investment activities between our network partners. Our common goal is to decarbonize energy at competitive prices for future generations to live in prosperity and in a vibrant, healthy environment."
Nathália Ervedosa, the representative of the Government of the State of Piauí in Europe said: "The signature of this memorandum represents a step towards the fulfilment of the State's ambition of becoming an international leader in Green Hydrogen supply. The State's great potential for producing Solar and Wind energy was recognized by the CEO of Green Energy Park, Mr. Bart Biebuyck. The State's compromise is to give full support to the intents of Green Energy Park to produce green hydrogen and green ammonia, the energy carrier of the future, in Piauí. The group has projects along the entire hydrogen value chain and is betting on our State for this 5 giga-watt upstream facility. Count on our support. Green Energy Park has chosen Piauí as a strategic partner for this undertaking for exporting ammonia all over the world, with an initial focus on Europe. The State will be by Green Energy Park's side along this journey in favour of global decarbonization.